Washington MAST Certification

Class 12 Permit & Class 13 Permit Online

You have come to the right place for your Washington State Class 12 and Class 13 Permit certification!

All managers, servers and bartenders who sell or serve alcohol are required by the state of Washington to have a MAST (Mandatory Alcohol Server Training) license. Learn to Serve Online MAST certification is approved by the Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB), and we hope to make obtaining one simple and convenient for you!

Class 12 and Class 13 Permit

Our MAST Certification course is only $19.95 and and Learn2Serve offers 24/7 course and customer support. No more trying to arrange your schedule to fit in classroom MAST training. Take the course in the comfort of your own home and at your own pace; log in and out of the course as needed.

Your Class 12 permit or Class 13 permit is your property and not the property of the licensee. You may use your Washington permit if you work at more than one establishment. Your permit and supporting identification must be available for inspection while at work. Just click on the red button and start taking the course immediately!

Why Use Us For Your Washington Class 12 Permit?

Professional Bartending Schools of America (PBSA) trains thousands of servers of alcohol throughout the country every year in our school classroom settings and online through our websites. We are located in the Midwest, and a live person will gladly answer your calls between 9:00 am-5:00 pm, M-F, EST. Our online course is produced by Learn to Serve!

Washington MAST Course Information

Our Washington MAST course is 100% online and is 3 hours in length. The cost is $19.95, and we offer 24/7 customer support.

This course will discuss safe alcohol selling and serving strategies and their application in Washington; provide you with the knowledge and skills to prevent underage drinking; recognize and prevent intoxication; how to avoid drunk driving and other problems related to alcohol consumption.

The course objectives are as follows:

  • Understand the physiological effects of alcohol, including the effects of alcohol in combination with drugs.
  • Be aware of alcohol-related liability and legal information.
  • Know the dangers of driving while intoxicated.
  • Know how to intervene with problem customers, including ways to stop service, ways to deal with belligerent customers, and alternate means of transportation to get customers home safely.
  • Know the methods for checking proper identification of customers.

At the end of the course, you will be able to download a course workbook. This workbook contains some important information from the course that you can use as a reference after successful completion of the final exam.

Sample of the Washington Mast Class 12 and Class 13 Permits

Class 12 and Class 13 Permit Class 12 and Class 13 Permit


Who needs to take the course?

The 1995 Legislature passed a law requiring Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (MAST) for managers, servers, bartenders and anyone who serves or sells alcohol. You are required to get the appropriate MAST permit within 60 days of hire. However, if you are an employee of a grocery store with a wine and beer tasting endorsement and will be conducting the tastings, you must obtain a Class 12 permit immediately. For more information on server training, go to http://liq.wa.gov/publications/MAST_Brochure.pdf

What is the difference between a Class 12 and Class 13 Permit?

What is the difference between a Class 12 and Class 13 Permit? Class 12 is a mixologist permit for managers, bartenders and anyone else who mixes drinks with alcohol or draws from a tap, and is 21 years old. Anyone with a Class 12 permit is also authorized to perform duties included in the Class 13 permit. Every establishment where alcohol is consumed on the premises must have at least one Class 12 permit holder on duty.

Class 13 is a server permit for servers and ID checkers who are at least 18 years old and carry alcohol to customers or open beer and wine and pour it into a glass at the customer's table. Class 13 permit holders cannot mix drinks or draw beer or wine from a tap.

Note: A Class 13 permit holder may upgrade to a Class 12 permit once he/she turns 21 for no additional cost. Call the American Safety Council at 1-800-732-4135 when you turn 21 to upgrade your Class 13 Permit.

How long does the class take?

How long does the class take? All classes, whether online or in a classroom setting, must be at least 3 hours.

What is a passing score and what if I fail the test?

What is a passing score and what if I fail the test? At the end of each module, there will be a quiz that you have to score 80% to continue on with the course. You can take the quizzes as many times as you like. At the end of the course there is a final exam. You must first meet the 3-hour time requirement before you can proceed to the exam. As you are going through the course, feel free to go back and review any of the information that has already been covered. However, once you begin the exam, you will NOT be able to go back and review any of the material. You have one attempt to complete the exam and must correctly answer 80% of the questions to receive your permit.

When will I receive my permit/certificate?

When will I receive my permit/certificate? Upon successful completion of this course, Learn to Serve will report your course completion to the Washington State Liquor Control Board. Your permit will be mailed within 10 business days to the address you entered when you registered for the course. If you do not receive your permit within 30 days, contact ASC at 1-800-732-4135. If you still do not receive it, contact the WSLCB MAST Coordinator at 360-664-1727.

How long is the permit good for?

How long is the permit good for? MAST Permits are valid for 5 years. To renew your permit, you must take the class again BEFORE your permit expires. You can check to see if your MAST Permit is still valid by visiting the WSLCB MAST Permit Checker website at http://liq.wa.gov/licensing/mast-permit-checker and entering either your full name and date of birth or your permit number.

What if I lose my MAST Permit?

If you lose your valid MAST Permit, you must complete an Affidavit of Lost or Replacement Mixologist/Server Permit and mail it with a $5.00 check made out to WSLCB. Remit to: WSLCB MAST Coordinator, P.O. Box 43098, Olympia, WA 98504-3098. You may also contact your course provider to obtain a replacement permit. Click on the following link to print a copy of the form: http://liq.wa.gov/publications/AffidavitofLostPermit.pdf

Social Share